NHS forced to pay compensation to 1,200 staff worried they have been infected after needle prick

03 November 2018 – Telegraph

Over 1,200 NHS staff have won damages after being injured by needles potentially infected with HIV or hepatitis over the past six years.

Official figures from NHS Resolution reveal “unacceptable” widespread failures to dispose of needles safely, resulting in pay-outs of at least £4,077,441 since 2012.

Hospitals are under a strict legal obligation to dispose of syringes safely, usually by means of a solid, brightly marked “sharps” bin, which doctors and nurses should ensure are close at hand before administering injections.

Source

Ed. Sharps bins should be used at ALL times to ensure safety.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: