06 June 2018 – Birmingham Mail
Improper handwashing can leave you vulnerable to germs.
According to NHS Choices, washing your hands properly should take about as long as singing “Happy Birthday” twice – which is about 20 seconds.
What’s the best hand-washing technique?
These are the steps you should follow:
1) Wet your hands with water (warm or cold).
2) Apply enough soap to cover all over your hands. You can use alcohol-based hand rub if you don’t have immediate access to soap and water.
3) Rub hands palm to palm.
4) Rub the back of your left hand with your right palm with interlaced fingers. Repeat with the other hand.
5) Rub your palms together with fingers interlaced.
6) Rub the backs of your fingers against your palms with fingers interlocked.
7) Clasp your left thumb with your right hand and rub in rotation. Repeat with your left hand and right thumb.
8) Rub the tips of your fingers in the other palm in a circular motion, going backwards and forwards. Repeat with the other hand.
9) Rinse hands with water (warm or cold).
10) Dry thoroughly, ideally with a disposable towel.
11) Use the disposable towel to turn off the tap.